IBBY Lebanon Accomplishments
A Report from our USBBY Twinning Partner
- Initiated the National Week for the Promotion of Reading which is officially recognized by the Ministry of Culture and observed yearly during the Month of April across the country by public and private schools, NGOs concerned with reading, public libraries, publishers and the media. This year there were 550 projects related to reading across the country. We serve on the National Committee that plans the activities for the week in the Ministry of Culture and we have our own projects as well.
- This year for the first time a special Reading Corner was set up in each of seven public schools in Beirut. The corner includes a portable library, a carpet, two cushions, a plant, a basket and a painting. All this was donated by friends of LBBY.
- A Series of Lectures is organized for teachers and librarians in schools and public libraries on the importance of children's literature and the promotion of reading.
- The Yearly Reading Competition for fourth graders in 60 schools was a great success. For this competition LBBY provides the schools with the materials for the motivation of reading at the beginning of the school year. Prizes and certificates are given to the first three readers in each school, who had read the largest number of books during the year.
The celebration of the reading competition with children receiving certificates and presents.
- During the coming year LBBY will focus its efforts on the Public Schools in the capital Beirut on the occasion of Beirut Book Capital of the World. We intend to set up 10 reading corners in 10 selected schools in the Capital.
- Workshops were conducted in bibliotherapy for teachers and Counselors in the use of books and stories in dealing with traumatized children of war. This was done in cooperation with the Ministry of Education with funding from IBBY.
- A Workshop for teachers in creative dramatics was conducted at the Lebanese American University. Other workshops are planned through the year.
- Organized an exhibit for Illustrated Children's Books in Arabic and German in cooperation with the Goethe Institute.
- Initiated a new approach for teaching Civic Education through stories. This was funded by Amideast in Lebanon. The photo is taken during one of the workshops.
- A guide for setting up and running a school library was prepared in cooperation with Goethe Institute, the Lebanese Library Association and UNESCO with the blessings of the Ministry of Education. We also took part in several conferences and workshops held for this purpose.
Dr. Julinda Abu Nasr holding a copy of the guide written by her.
The Minister of Education and the Ambassador of Germany discussing the guide in the launching ceremony during the National Reading Week, April 2008.